Whether you’re using a contractor or doing it yourself, now is the time you become the captain and on site administrator for the completion of your log home.
In the area of construction and preservation of your log home, there are a few things you should be willing to spend a little extra money on to better protect your logs. Gutters and extended overhangs are helpful. Rain and moisture is corrosive to the logs, which is why you do not want to skimp out on rain gutters, finish or overhangs. In an attempt to stay within budget, some folks leave out these things when in reality they are necessities.
Be prepared to communicate well with your builder and contractors.
Building a handcrafted log home is not like installing a manufactured home. Problems and challenges may arise that can require a novel solution. A good builder or contractor will work with you to see your plan and perspective to accomplish your goal in a practical time frame. Your builder and contractor may not be able to solve a problem by sundown, but more often than not he can deliver a professionally built home in the time frame expected.
Below is a sample construction project shown in order of installation. Timelines will vary depending on the build location, weather, the size of the home, the complexity of the home design, availability of contractors, and many other issues.
- Property prep, grading and excavating
- Install temporary utilities if desired
- Install forms, pour footings, and foundation
- Install subfloor and backfill
- Erect log walls and roof system
- Install interior wall partition
- Install second floor system
- Rough plumb
- Install rough electrical
- Install heating and air conditioning rough-in materials
- Interior walls, drywall, paneling, etc.
- Exterior finish, soffits, windows, and doors
- Finish interior carpentry
- Install tile work
- Install cabinets
- Install concrete driveways and sidewalk
- Finish interior painting and all covering
- Finish electrical outlets and fixtures
- Finish plumbing, set fixtures, etc.
- Finish flooring, hardwood, and carpet
- Final landscaping
- General cleanup
- Final inspection and move-in date!